Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church has been serving the Eastern area of Birmingham since 1960.
We are a diverse community. Individually, we come in many shapes, sizes, and ages from as nearby as Birmingham and as far away as Africa. Even though we may have been born in the United States, Africa, the Philippines, Guatemala, or somewhere else entirely, we all call Our Lady of Lourdes in Birmingham, Alabama home.
We hope you will too.
A Brief History of Our Parish
January 13, 1959 – Ground Breaking with Archbishop Toolen
December 25, 1959 – 1st Mass at Midnight
June 5, 1960 – Dedication of Our Lady of Lourdes on Pentecost Sunday with Auxiliary Bishop Joseph Durick
“The new $90,000 Church and Parish Hall is 120 feet by 50 feet. The Church seats 400. … a Parish Hall, which can seat 150, behind the Sanctuary. … The Church is built on a 71/2-acre lot with parking space adjacent on all sides. The Rectory is located on an adjoining 5-acre lot…. Above the door on the outside stands a six-foot statue Our Lady of Lourdes which is illuminated at night… .The Stations of the Cross were hand-carved in Italy” (various news clippings).
During the late 1960’s the Education/CCD Building was added.
A new organ was purchased in August 1973.
The stone Church sign was finished in April 1977.
In January of 1978, renovation of the Sanctuary began. By the Fall of that year, the renovation was complete and on October 22, 1978, Bishop Joseph Vath dedicated the new Altar.
September 3, 1978 – Ground Breaking for the Lewis Chase Memorial Youth Building. (A tribute to the late Dr. Lewis Chase)
The first Parish Council was formed late in 1978.
In 1980, the Church creek was covered over as part of the Martinwood Project to prevent future flooding.
May 19, 1985 – Ground Breaking for Family Life Center designed to incorporate existing Kindergarten/Faith Formation building.
On December 1, 1985, the Father Andrew Gavin Family Life Center was dedicated by Bishop Vath. Members of Fr. Gavin’s family attended the dedication and generously donated Fr. Gavin’s chalice to the parish in his memory. A portrait of Fr. Gavin hangs in the entrance to the building.
In 1987, Our Lady of Lourdes Parish revived the Labor Day picnic once sponsored by St. Thomas on the Hill. This event now known as the Labor Day Festival has blossomed and grown through the years. It is a beloved community tradition.
In 1988, ground was broken to add office space to the Chase Memorial Youth Building.
In 1988, the Youth groups and Scouts spearhead an effort to purchase the old rectory/office building for youth activities.
October 23, 1994 – New electronic pipe organ dedicated. The occasion was marked by a concert by Robert Woods.
In the Fall and Winter of 2017, The Father Andrew Kennedy Sacristy was dedicated by Fr. Alex Steinmiller, C.P., the Parish Council was re-established after a 25-year hiatus, and we held our first International Dinner.